Contents | Prev | Next
4.1 Introducing the Irie Pascal IDE
The Irie Pascal Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is an easy to use programming
environment, and includes the following important components:
- A multi-file text editor - Can be used to edit your Pascal source program, or any other
kind of text file.
- The Irie Pascal Compiler - Used to translate
your Pascal source program into an executable program (either an IVM or an EXE executable
- The Message Window - Used to display the messages generated by the
Compiler while it is
translating your Pascal source program. The Message Window and the text editor work together, to
allow you to easily move from a warning or error message, in the Message Window, to the
position in your Pascal source program, referred to by the message. If you double-click, with the
mouse, on a warning or error message, then you will be moved to the position in your Pascal
source program, referred to by the message. You can also move from a warning or error message
to the position referred to by the message, using the keyboard. To do this, you need to first
select the message by single-clicking with the mouse on the message, or by changing the
currently selecting message with the Up-Arrow and Down-Arrow keys. Once the message you are
interested in is selected, then just press the Enter key to move from that message to the
position in your Pascal source program it refers to.
- The Project Manager - Used to set project options and other project specific settings.
The Project Manager remembers recently opened projects, as well
as the files that were most recently opened or closed in each
- The IVM Interpreter - Used to run the executable programs generated by the
- The Online Help System - Includes this User's Manual and the Irie Pascal Programmer's Reference Manual (in "progref.html").
The IDE dialog boxes provide context sensitive help by opening the relevant topic in the
User' Manual. The text editor and the Online Help System work together, to allow you to search
the Irie Pascal Programmer's Reference Manual (in "progref.html") for topics keyed to individual words in the editor. To seach
for the current word (i.e. the word under the text editor's caret), just press the F1 key.
Depending on the setting of the Double-click word search check box in the
environment options page of the
Project Options dialog box, you
may also be able to search for words simply by double-clicking on them.
- Other Components - The other components that make up the IDE include the menus, dialog
boxes, and toolbar.
Contents | Prev | Next